Work Visa Requirements:
Have required level of English
language (unless exempt)
Have relevant qualifications
or work experience
Hold relevant registration
You are less than 50 years old
You are of good health
You are of good character
Your employer must apply to become a business sponsor or be an approved sponsor.
Your employer must nominate you in one of the consolidated skilled occupation list (“CSOL”)
You must meet the basic requirements
Changes to the 457 scheme were introduced on 19 April 2017. Further changes will be introduced on 1 July 2017 and 31 December 2017.
The 457 visa will be abolished by March 2018 and replaced by Temporary Skill Shortage visa (TSS visa).
This is a potential minefield. Please contact us if you need help navigating a safe passage.
Temporary Residence Transition Stream (TRT)
You can apply via this pathway if:
- You are a 457 visa holder who has worked for your employer for at least two years
- Your employer wants to offer you a permanent position in the same occupation
Direct Entry Stream (DE)
You can apply via this stream if you have:
- Three years of relevant work experience in a nominated occupation
- Have the required qualifications and skill level
- Have a positive skills assessment
Temporary Residence Transition (TRT)
- You are a 457 visa holder who has worked for your employer for at least 2 years
- Your employer wants to offer you a permanent position in the same nominated occupation in a regional location
Direct Entry (DE)
- You have no experience in the Australian labour market
- You have the required qualifications and skill level
- You are being sponsored by an employer who is party to a labour agreement that is in effect
There are exemptions to the age and English language requirement, however these are on a case by case basis. There are also waivers for health requirements in some circumstances.
This is provisional visa with two streams:
- Nominated by an Australian State or Territory government
- Nominated for an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
- Achieve suitable skills assessment for that occupation
- Be under the age of 50
- Achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the points test
- Have competent English language skills
Extended Stay Stream
- You might be eligible to apply for the Extended Stay Pathway if you are the skilled worker who has held one of the following visas and complied with all visa conditions, for at least two years before applying for this visa:
- Independent Regional visa (subclass 495)
- Designated Area Sponsored Provisional visa (subclass 496)
- Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 475)
- Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 487)
There are exemptions to the age and English language requirement; however, these are on a case by case basis. There are also waivers for health requirements in some circumstances.
You can apply through the following streams:
- Graduate Work Stream
- Post Study work
- In the last six months, you have completed one or more degrees, diplomas or trade qualifications for a course that is registered on CRICOS. The course must have been instructed and learnt English and you must have completed the course as a result of 92 weeks of study, in a total of 16 calendar months.
- Have adequate health insurance for the duration of stay in Australia
Our client required expert advice in relation to immigration matters involving the relocation of an employee from the United States to Australia.
Our firm engaged Gareth Lewis from Lewis & Bollard and found his approach, knowledge and efficiency to be excellent.
Gareth’s professionalism and attentiveness ensured the potentially overwhelming process ran smoothly and the desired outcomes were achieved, despite the tight deadline.
We appreciate the great work Gareth and his team conducted in this instance and look forward to working with Lewis & Bollard again in the future if the opportunity arises.
Gareth Lewis secured a subclass 457 visa for one of our international employees. Gareth was professional, extremely thorough and made himself readily available to ensure that the fast tracked application was successful.
Thank you Gareth for guiding us and making the process a pleasure! We will certainly use Lewis & Bollard again and highly recommend their services.
I would like to thank Lewis & Bollard for their assistance in lodging a 457 application for one of our employees. We were running out of time to lodge the application.
Gareth and his team worked late at night and over a weekend to get the application lodged in time. We are most grateful and particularly our employee who a few weeks later got his sponsorship approved.
I highly recommend Lewis & Bollard as their professionalism, dedication and efficiency are simply outstanding.
Let us help you get the visa process right